Friday, February 18, 2011

Tumblers =)

We are maiking tumblers!! This is my black sgraffitto tumbler!!



These are my tumblers that are water etched!!





Reflection:
What I was trying to accomplish is to make four tumblers total, two water etched and two black sgraffitto. Yes I did accomplish my goal because I finished my four tumblers and done my designs on both of them. The techinque I used in my water edched is my very own design I got from my head that I painted on the bone dry cup and for the black sgraffito I used a bird image from the internet that I carved into the cup. The elements of design I used on my water etched was circles, lines, triangles, rechangles, and a zig zag line. For the black sgraffitto I used lines, circles, etc.. is where I see these elements. The best part of the piece was putting the tumblers together without it falling apart and not standing up stright. What I liked about the piece I made was that I made them myself with some help putting it together. The thing in strenght is that I made them and out my own design into the tumblers. The most challenging part of creating the piece was building four tumblers and letting two dry out completely and having two of them not completely dry so that we can paint the black into it and carve our design into it. Also the most challenging part was re-building one of the tumblers because the bottom collpased and couldn't be fixed and trying to carve into the black tumbers so that it doesn't bone dry. I overcame these difficulties by coming in and re-building my tumblers and paint the water etched tumblers and to paint and carve the black sgraffitto so that it doesn't dry out and not be able to carve into it. What I would change if I were to do this project again is to make three tumblers, 2 water etched and one sgraffitto so that it would be easier. What I learned from creating this piece is to not let the one your painting the black on dry too much or you can't carve into it. I will apply this knowledge in creating my next piece is to start on the building the water etched pieces first so that I can let it dry and then build the black sgraffitto let it dry out for a bit and then paint it and carve into it immedity so it doesn't dry out and be too hard. Overall, I felt good about this piece because I finished it in on time by working on it on my off hours and finished it on time. :) The graffitto was the hardest ones to complete because they had to look the same and have the same design and everything! :)

1 comment:

  1. Simon,
    I am glad to see that you have been working on these. Good for you, now I would like to work with you on the wheel. Hope you are having a great 3 day weekend.

    ReplyDelete